There is a video doing the rounds at the moment that purports to show a poltergeist haunting the kitchen of a house in Cork. At the time of posting, this video has garnered 10 million views on various social media platforms.
Actually, there are two videos. Another one was uploaded the week before this.
Both videos are hoaxes.
It’s instructive to look at both videos because some of the differences give the game away.
In the first video, the camera moves around to the phenomenon before it begins. This is clear sign that the people involved are in control of what is happening. This is slightly less obvious in the second video – a sign that they have taken this on board.
In the second video, a fridge has moved to a different, rather strange place – right beside the back door. This, presumably, had been placed to conceal one of the people who is conducting events.
Nobody appears to be too frightened, not even the dogs.
So how was it done? Fishing lines. By scrolling to various points in the video, you can see them clearly. In one scene, you can even see the hand of the person at the other side of the door.
First Video 16 September
- 1.03 something snags on a bottle by the window (the same effect is apparent in both videos)
- 1.49 someone appears behind the door – you can see his hands.
- 1.28 fishing line attached to the light
- 1.34 you can see the fishing line clearly by the radio speakers.
Second video 22 September
- Wire clearly visible at 1.05 at the end of the video
- Likely fishing wire at 0.34.
- 0.53 Bottle on window moves again.
Finally, here’s a phenomenon I videoed in my kitchen last night…
Nice try, Ashy.